Navigate Up
Sign In


    Community Relations Commission

    Who May File A Complaint?

    Any persons who feel they have been discriminated against based upon race, color, creed, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, familial status, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, or lawful source of income may file a complaint with the Community Relations Commission (CRC). The scope of the CRCs jurisdiction for complaints is limited to those alleged discriminatory acts occurring within the city limits of Grand Rapids.

    Notice: The authority by which the CRC can investigate citizen complaints can be found in City of Grand Rapids Ordinance No. 94-18. The CRC does not have enforcement powers to compel any action, hence, any resolution of complaints is based upon the willingness of the parties to resolve their issue(s).

    Complaint Process

    • Persons may file a complaint directly with the Office of Diversity & Inclusion (ODI) or may request to be placed on the CRC agenda.

    • The CRC (or staff if the CRC so designates) will investigate the complaint and make findings & recommendations.

    • The CRC will make the final decision regarding the outcome of a complaint and take the necessary actions to resolve the matter.

    Questions or concerns regarding the filing of a complaint with the Community Relations Commission, should be directed to the City of Grand Rapids Equal Opportunity Department at (616) 456-3027.