Navigate Up
Sign In


    Where can I get help with home maintenance and/or repair?

    City of Grand Rapids Community Development Department
    Housing Rehabilitation Office
    300 Monroe Avenue NW, Suite 440
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503
    (616) 456-3030

    Housing Rehabilitation Program
    The Housing Rehabilitation Program provides low-interest loans for
    home repairs that address health/safety concerns, code violations, the treatment of lead-based paint hazards, and other repairs to qualifying low- and moderate-income occupant owners of one- and two-family homes located within CDBG Specific Target Areas. Emergency repair assistance is limited to the General Target Area.

    Home Repair Services of Kent County
    1100 South Division Avenue
    Grand Rapids MI 49507
    (616) 241-2601

    Home Repair Services helps lower-income homeowners throughout Kent County with the maintenance and repair of their homes. For further information and to determine if you are eligible for assistance, call 241-2601. Following is a brief description of the programs offered by Home Repair Services:

    Fix-it School
    Training classes are available on a variety of home repair topics to help even the most inexperienced person become a home renovator. Courses on such topics as project design, plumbing, basic electrical, roofing, drywall, cabinet installation, and ceramic tile are offered every Saturday.

    Remodeling Together

    Provides design assistance, in-home consultation, coaching, and affordable cabinetry to help homeowners successfully remodel their own kitchens and bathrooms.

    Minor Home Repair
    Provides minor emergency home repairs and home security improvements for low-income homeowners.

    Access Modifications Program
    Builds wheelchair ramps and makes other modifications to improve the accessibility of homes occupied by persons with disabilities.

    Energy Services Department
    ACSET Community Action Agency of Kent County
    121 Franklin Street SE Suite 110
    Grand Rapids, MI 49507
    (616) 336-2228

    Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) 
    Provides energy conservation measures installed by licensed private contractors. A thorough Energy Audit isperformed on the residence to determine the awarded measures. Measures can include (but are not limited to) attic insulation, wall insulation, belly insulation, weather stripping/caulking of doors/windows, refrigerator replacement, and furnace replacement. This is a free service offered to homeowners and renters in Kent County with an income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guideline. Adults over 60 years may be eligible for a Kent County Senior Millage Cost Share Program with an income between 200 and 250 percent of the federal poverty guideline.

    Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA)

    Property Improvement Program
    The Property Improvement Program offers low-interest loans for home improvements. Loans are also available for repairs to rental properties. For information and to apply, contact a MSHDA-approved Participating Lender.  A list of Participating Lenders is available on MSHDA’s website.

    Senior Neighbors, Inc.
    678 Front Avenue NW, Suite 205
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503
    (616) 459-6019

    Senior Neighbors, Inc. provides services that enable adults, age 60 and over, to maintain their maximum level of independence in their home. The agency offers a variety of services including the following housing assistance:

    • Housing Information and Counseling
    • Home Chore Services (assistance with basic home maintenance/repair, yard work, snow removal, etc.)
    • Shelter Advisor Program

    Disability Advocates of Kent County
    3600 Camelot Drive SE
    Grand Rapids, MI 49546
    (616) 949-1100

    Disability Advocates of Kent County provides a wide variety of services and support to individuals with disabilities who are searching for affordable and accessible housing in addition to assisting individuals in making new or existing homes accessible.

    Housing and Universal Design
    Disability Advocates of Kent County offers assistance with Universal Design in building or remodeling to help people live in their house as long as possible. Universal Design is the designing of houses, products, buildings and exterior space to be used and marketed to all people regardless of their abilities. The organization provides consultation of house plans. Staff offer suggestions on how to design a house to make it as user friendly as possible and will research products that will benefit a person on the interior and exterior of the house. If you are looking for assistance in designing a house using Universal Design ideas and concepts, a referral can be made to a residential designer.

    Home Evaluations
    Disability Advocates of Kent County also has a registered occupational therapist and a certified occupational therapy assistant on staff who can assist persons in locating affordable and accessible homes or apartments for sale or rent. Additionally, they can conduct professional on-site home evaluations and assist individuals in obtaining ramps, accessible bath and shower equipment, and other items. For further information regarding these services, contact Renee at (616) 949-1100.


    Legal Aid of Western Michigan
    25 Division Avenue South
    Grand Rapids MI 49503
    (616) 774-0672

    Legal Aid of Western Michigan provides free legal services in non-criminal cases to low income and elderly residents.  Legal services may relate to home purchases, negotiations with repair contractors, utility shut-offs, evictions, lead paint hazards, foreclosures, predatory lending issues, possible Chapter 13 bankruptcies, and other housing matters.

    Grand Rapids Urban League
    745 Eastern Avenue SE
    Grand Rapids MI 49503
    (616) 245-2207

    The Grand Rapids Urban League provides general counseling, information and referral services to individuals and families seeking shelter and experiencing a variety of housing problems. The League's participation in various programs allows it to provide direct assistance to individuals who are being faced with immediate eviction.

    Help! I have a financial crisis and can't make my mortgage payment.

    Click here for information about foreclosure assistance.