Navigate Up
Sign In


    Help! I have a financial crisis and can't make my mortgage payment.
    Talk!  Immediately.  As soon as you know you will not be able to make your payment, contact your mortgage lender or land contract seller and see if you can work something out.  If you have an Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM), talk with a counselor as soon as possible.
    If you are not able to work something out with your lender or you do not understand your rights, call Home Repair Services of Kent County.  They are the first point of contact in our community for foreclosure assistance.   Home Repair Services is a nonprofit agency and talking with their housing specialists is free.  They will talk with you about your situation and tell you what resources may be available to help you.
    Home Repair Services of Kent County
    1100 South Division Avenue
    Grand Rapids, MI 49507
    (616) 241-2601

    If you would like to learn more about foreclosure matters, check out these sites:
    Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA)
    The State of Michigan provides information about homeownership, including an overview of the foreclosure process and tips to help you keep your home, manage your credit, and prioritize your debt.
    MSHDA received money from the federal government in 2010 to develop programs to assist Michigan homeowners with preventing foreclosure.  MSHDA’s program, Step Forward Michigan, has three different ways it can assist:
    1.     Unemployment Mortgage Subsidy: During a time of unemployment, homeowners may be eligible to receive assistance with fifty percent (50%) of monthly mortgage payments, up to $750 per month, for a maximum of twelve (12) months.  Eligible homeowners may also qualify for up to $3,000 to correct an existing mortgage delinquency.
    2.     Mortgage Loan Rescue: Homeowners may apply for loan funds up to $10,000 towards delinquent mortgage payments so normal payments may resume.
    3.     Principal Curtailment: This assistance provides funds up to $10,000 for homeowners who need to modify their existing mortgage loan in order to begin more affordable monthly payments.
    Other rules and restrictions apply.  Contact Home Repair Services of Kent County at (616) 241-2601 for more information about Step Forward Michigan, or visit  Homeowners may apply for assistance directly via the website. 
    This toolkit, provided by the Michigan Foreclosure Task Force, is intended to assist individuals, groups, or organizations to respond to the foreclosure crisis.  The toolkit contains searchable information, strategies, and resources for mortgage and tax foreclosure prevention and response, and can be accessed by visiting
    U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) 
    The federal government provides information and links to other pages for ideas to avoid foreclosure, including how to work with your lender or housing counselor.