The Rental Rehabilitation Program is a federally funded program administered through the Community Development Department by the Housing Rehabilitation Division. The Program offers assistance to Landlords to make substantial improvements to their rental properties including the following:
- Housing Code required repairs on the interior and exterior
- Environmental hazards including asbestos and lead based paint
- Energy and water efficiency improvements
- Alterations to improve accessibility in the units
- Livability and "rentability" improvements
You may not make repairs that are related to fire/smoke damage, purchase new appliances or tools, or do new construction.
Who is Eligible?
Your rental units may be eligible if:
- The units are located within the City,
- Existing tenants meet program income qualifications (or the units are vacant),
- You have clear title to the property,
- You have paid all property taxes and City fines owed on this and all other properties under your control,
- You have fire and hazard insurance on the property,
- The property needs a minimum of $10,000 in repairs or improvements per unit, and
- You have the ability to finance the entire project
There may be other criteria that apply to your situation, so be sure to pay close attention to the instructions when you fill out your application, or call the Housing Rehabilitation Division at (616) 456-3030.
Terms of Assistance
- Assistance is in the form of a rebate of 50% of approved project costs, up to $14,999 per unit
- Units must be rented to pre-qualified low-income tenants for five years after completion of the repairs
- A lien will be placed against the property for five years to ensure compliance with Program requirements
How to Apply
To apply for assistance, download an application here (PDF), or call the Housing Rehabilitation Division at (616) 456-3030 to have one mailed to you. If you would prefer to pick up an application, the Housing Rehabilitation Division is open from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Mail or return you completed application to:
City of GR Community Development Department
Housing Rehabilitation Division
300 Monroe Avenue NW, Suite 440
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
What happens after my application is approved?
After your application is approved, Housing Rehabilitation Division staff will, with your assistance, perform a detailed inspection to identify required and optional repairs. You will receive: